DUSHANBE, May 8, 2010, Asia-Plus -- Delegation of Tajikistan to the OSCE has applied to the OSCE and Kazakh Chairmanship requesting for assistance in finding solution to the freight holdup problem.
Delivering a statement at the 808th OSCE Permanent Council Meeting in Vienna, Tajikistan Ambassador Nuriddin Shamsov noted on May 6, “Since our last statement at the Permanent Council Meeting on April 29, 2010 we note that, regrettably despite the unilateral efforts of the Government of Tajikistan to initiate friendly negotiations on wide-range bilateral issues, the situation remains unchanged and concerned. Uzbek authorities continue strictly blocking the transit of goods and commodities to Tajikistan through Amuzang railway point connecting Uzbekistan with Khatlon the southeast province of Tajikistan.”
The statement posted on the website of Tajikistan Embassy to Austria, says that according to updated information provided by Tajik Railways, currently total number of Tajik impeded cargo railcars stranded on the territory of Uzbekistan has exceeded 2000. The blocked cargos include fuel, wheat, fertilizers, medicines equipment and machinery as well as other commercial provisions and goods. As a result, Government of Tajikistan continues to face huge economic losses of hundred millions of USD.
“We refer to recent statement by representatives of Tajikistan’s NGOs, business and private community to the international community and organizations, including the OSCE, expression their discontent with the situation, as well as appeal to assist in finding solution,” said Ambassador Shamsov, “Tajik entrepreneurs believe that the current situation will have negative implication on Tajikistan’s economy, social and health sectors, investment climate etc. since due to the delay in the delivery of goods. In this regard, Delegation of Tajikistan regrets the missing of such paramount aspect of the situation in the OSCE current reports.”
“In conclusion, noting multilateral character of the situation, Delegation of Tajikistan reiterates its request to the OSCE and Kazakh Chairmanship to take within its mandate pro-active and effective action to meet implementation of proclaimed by the OSCE principals and commitments in the field of security of transport border crossing and freedom of movement,” Shamsov noted.
We will recall that Tajik delegation led by Deputy Prime Minister Murodali Alimardon was in Tashkent on April 27 to conduct negotiations with Uzbek authorities on this issue. Representative of the Tajik Embassy in Tashkent, Sarvar Bakhti, told reporters that the Uzbek side demanded suspension of work on the Roghun site in exchange for allowing stranded railroad cars to move into Tajikistan.
In the meantime, Tajik Railways said that the first 34 cargo cars loaded with wheat flour arrived in Khatlon province Friday night after three-month delays.




First pilot container train successfully departs from China to Tajikistan
How a Tajikistani native made his way to one of the world’s most influential tech companies
Two traders arrested on the first day of Ramadan for overcharging on meat in Dushanbe
27 young men sentenced in Tajikistan last year for avoiding military service
Uzbekistan launches jury trial system as an experiment
Job market in Tajikistan: Somon.tj identifies most in-demand professions and market trends
Russian lawmaker proposes migrants should receive benefits only after 20 years of residence in Russia
Tajikistan in 2025: economic growth, inflation, and foreign trade
Police in Dushanbe urges entrepreneurs to avoid unjustified price increases during Ramadan
"No criminal cases have been initiated": Tajikistan has not punished citizens for participation in the war in Ukraine
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста