QURGHON TEPPA, October 24, 2012, -- Potential of free economic zones (FEZs) for development of southern Tajikistan is the focus of an international economic forum that has opened in Qurghon Teppa, the capital of Khatlon province today.

Organized by the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade in cooperation with local authorities of Sughd and Khatlon provinces as well as administrations of the FEZs “Panj” and “Danghara,” the forum is formally titled “Potential of Free Economic Zones for Development of Khatlon Province.”

The event has reportedly brought together representatives of government institutions, diplomatic missions and international organizations active in Tajikistan as well as experts and local and foreign entrepreneurs to consider issues related to development of FEZs in Tajikistan, attraction of investments, and expansion of cooperation between investors and the FEZ administrations.

Speaking at the forum, Khatlon governor Ghaybullo Avzalov expressed hope that representatives of diplomatic missions and international organizations attending the forum would take efforts to promote further expansion of cooperation with Khatlon.

“The province has a huge unused economic potential, in particular in the field of development of mineral deposits,” said the governor.  “Of 53 mineral deposits explored in the area, only eighteen are being developed partially while development of the remaining 35 mineral deposits requires foreign investments.”

Avzalov also noted that potential of tourism industry has not been used properly in the province.  “We have many attractive tourist spots.  Among them are Sari Khosor in the Baljuvon district, the “Tiger’s Gully” reserve in the Jilikul district, the “Dashti Jum” reserve in the Shouoroobod district as well as many cultural and historical relics that could attract tourists.”

Avzalov also noted that Uzbekistan’s halting of freight cars bound for Khatlon province in November last year had caused serious damage to the province.  “Damage caused to Khatlon by Uzbekistan’s decision to block rail traffic to the province has been estimated at 46 million somoni,” said the governor, “Moreover, more than 1,200 railway employees in the province have been left without jobs.”

The forum participants are expected to work out new ideas and proposals how to improve activities of the free economic zones in the country.