Monitors from the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe can only patrol in Georgia next year if their mandate is changed to take account of Moscow''s concerns, Russia''s foreign minister said on Tuesday.
The OSCE said on Monday it would start shutting down its mission in Georgia on January 1 after Russia refused to extend the existing mandate because of a dispute over the status of South Ossetia, a Moscow-backed separatist region of Georgia.
"The mandate cannot function, either in the practical or the legal sense," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
Western states say OSCE monitors patrolling Georgia''s conflict zone with South Ossetia can provide early warning of any new flare-up in hostilities, and investigate allegations of rights abuses against ethnic Georgians.
Lavrov told a news conference that Russia had submitted a draft for a new mandate to the OSCE, Europe''s main democracy and human rights watchdog, and it was now up to the organization''s other members to approve it. "It is not down to us," he said.
The OSCE monitors'' mandate expires on December 31. Russia''s proposals for a new mandate have stalled because Moscow says it must acknowledge that South Ossetia is an independent state -- a status that only Russia and Nicaragua have recognized.
Britain, one of the most vocal European critics of Russia''s actions in Georgia, said it would hold Moscow in particular responsible for security in the conflict zone after it blocked the work of the OSCE monitors.
"Russia has isolated itself on this issue," British Foreign Minister David Miliband said in a statement.




Statistics vs. wallet: Tajikistan's rising income vs. stagnant quality of life
Kazakhstan's foreign minister visits Freedom IT-Hub in Dushanbe
Uzbekistan plans to launch "Mirzo Ulugbek" satellite and prepare first astronaut
405 people released from liability in Tajikistan for 'liking' extremist-related content
Russia approves agreement allowing migrants from Tajikistan to undergo medical exams before entering Russia
Tajik president holds talks with Kazakhstan's foreign minister to discuss cooperation
Tajik, Kazakh top diplomats discuss economic and cultural cooperation
9 million somoni found in inspector’s account: prosecutors uncover major energy sector embezzlement scheme
Tajikistan records 177 human trafficking cases last year
“They want to undermine our relations with China”: Tajik prosecutor-general on clashes along the Afghan-Tajik border
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста