US Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell will hold talks on the North Korean nuclear standoff during his first visit to South Korea starting Saturday, Seoul officials said.

Campbell, who took over last month as assistant secretary for East Asia and Pacific affairs, arrives Saturday afternoon from Tokyo.

"His visit will provide a chance for the two countries to have comprehensive discussions on ways of promoting the denuclearisation of North Korea and its return to the six-party talks," a foreign ministry spokesman told AFP Friday.

Campbell will also discuss alliance matters such as the relocation of US military bases in South Korea and global issues when he meets Deputy Foreign Minister Lee Yong-Joon Saturday, other officials said.

North Korea quit the six-party nuclear disarmament talks in April after the UN Security Council criticised its long-range rocket launch.

Its second nuclear test in May led to fresh sanctions from the Council, which on Thursday extended the measures to cover selected individuals as well as companies.

Campbell will meet Seoul''s top nuclear envoy Wi Sung-Lac Monday morning and pay a courtesy call on Foreign Minister Yu Myung-Hwan in the afternoon before heading to Bangkok.