DUSHANBE, July 16, 2011, Asia-Plus -- The first U.S. troops have left Afghanistan as part of President Barack Obama''s planned drawdown of about a third of the 100,000 U.S. forces there during the next year.
The first batch of 650 US army troops was reportedly flown out from the Parwan province northwest of Kabul on July 13.
According to Reuters, U.S. Lt. Col. Wayne Perry, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said about 650 troops who had completed their rotation in Afghanistan left on Wednesday as scheduled, and would not be replaced. “As part of the drawdown the first U.S. troops have left Afghanistan,” he said.
The units that left were the Army National Guard''s 1st Squadron, 134th Cavalry Regiment, based in Kabul, and the Army National Guard''s 1st Squadron, 113th Cavalry Regiment, which had been in neighboring Parwan province, Reuters reports.
President Barack Obama announced last month that 10,000 American troops would be withdrawn from Afghanistan by the end of the year, and another 23,000 by September 2012. The first 10,000 troops will come back to the United States by the end of the year, but President Obama left the details up to his commanders.
Afghan security forces are to take over security responsibility from foreign forces in seven areas of the country this summer. Afghan forces will then take the lead in securing the entire country by the end of 2014.





How a resident of Khujand became energy-independent
Kazakhstan joins countries sending troops to Gaza: key agreements from the first Peace Council meeting
Murder of gas station cashier in Khatlon province: over 20 stab wounds
Tajik military recruitment official arrested for corruption and bribery
Tajikistan honors athletes with presidential awards for international achievements
Tajikistan's Security Council holds key meeting on national security
Tajikistan shuts down nearly 90 industrial enterprises in 2025
US dollar reportedly maintains dominance in Central Asia amid Chinese yuan hype
US-based company to invest $150 million in Uzbekistan’s gas station network
Tajik minister of industry holds talks with OpenAI CEO Sam Altman at AI Impact Summit in New Delhi
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста