DUSHANBE, February 27, 2014, Asia-Plus -- Speaking at a session of Tajikistan’s upper house (Majlisi Milli) of parliament, Tajik chief prosecutor Sherkhon Salimzoda noted on February 27 that some of Tajik nationals that were returned from foreign religious schools have gone abroad again.

According to him, they are currently studying the situation and after that they will be able to give the exact number of Tajik nationals who have returned to illegal religious schools abroad.

“Last year, 27 persons were put on trial for membership in terrorist organizations,” said Salimzoda.  “Besides, 53 persons were put on trial for raping and 52 others were put trial for driving someone to suicide.  100 cases of suicide among minors and 13 cases of death from overdose were reported in the country in 2013.”

We will recall that the return of the Tajik students from Muslim countries began in August-September 2010 after President Emomali Rahmon said students at illegal Islamic schools too often "fall under the influence of extremists.”  Rahmon advised parents to bring their children back to Tajikistan.

In August 2010, President Emomali Rahmon warned that foreign religious schools are indoctrinating Tajik students with radical Islamist ideology, and urged parents of madrasah students to bring them home.